Metro coaches had tougher time picking Defensive Player of the Year, giving the honor to trio of Rainier Beach guards Grace Williams and NiRae Petty and Bishop Blanchet forward Jadyn Bush.
Lakeside senior Kallin Spiller was named Metro League girls basketball MVP. The 6-foot-3 forward is a two-sport star, leading the Lions to their first Class 3A volleyball state title last fall and earning the league MVP award, too.
Spiller, who was a Star Times volleyball pick, will go on to play both sports at Seattle University.
Bishop Blanchet went undefeated in league play, earning Brett Hecko the league Coach of the Year honor in his first season with the team. Metro coaches couldn’t decide who was toughest to score against, naming Rainier Beach guards Grace Williams and NiRae Petty and Blanchet forward Jaydn Bush as Defensive Players of the Year.
Here’s the full list of honorees:
Most Read Sports Stories
- Ex-WSU coach Nick Rolovich plans to sue university over his dismissal
- Seahawks claim former UW QB Jacob Eason off waivers
- With Nick Rolovich gone, remaining WSU football coaches, along with players and fans, try to move forward
- WSU football coaching candidates: Names to watch as Cougars begin search to replace Nick Rolovich
- Seahawks mailbag: Answering your questions about Carlos Dunlap, the running game and DK Metcalf
Most Valuable Player
Kallin Spiller, Lakeside
Jadyn Bush, Blanchet
Chinwe Ezeonu, Seattle Prep
Juanita Agosto, Garfield
NiRae Petty, Rainier Beach
Rachel Francisco, Holy Names
Sammaiyah Tolliver, Garfield
Labrea Denson, Chief Sealth
Karmelah Dean, Roosevelt
Giavanni Flowers, Cleveland
Jazz Gayles, West Seattle
Grace Williams, Rainier Beach
Dalayah Daniels, Rainier Beach
Kelly Keene, Lakeside
Sydney Thomas, Chief Sealth
Grace Sarver, West Seattle
Coach of the Year
Brett Hecko, Blanchet
Defensive Player of the Year
Grace Williams, NiRae Petty, Jadyn Bush