The school district said it has filed an intent to appeal after last week’s ruling that banned the program from competing in postseason for the next four years.

Share story

School district leaders plan to appeal sanctions that would prevent the Bellevue High football program from competing in postseason play for the next four years.

The school district said Monday it has filed an intent to appeal after last week’s ruling by the KingCo Conference. The appeals process can go through several layers of review up to the executive board of the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA).

In addition to the postseason ban, the ruling by a KingCo committee sought to corral the powerful Bellevue booster club by prohibiting the football program from receiving outside donations for four years, including money, equipment and products from outside entities. The conference also said it would vacate the school’s conference titles if the WIAA determines that state championships should be forfeited.

Bellevue football investigation:

· Complete Bellevue scandal coverage »

Previously:

· Bellevue football banned from postseason for 4 years

· WIAA lifts Bellevue postseason ban, strips two state titles

· Cedar Park Christian hires ex-Bellevue coach Butch Goncharoff

· Two-year ban for Goncharoff ruled violation of union rights

· After upheaval, sanctions, Bellevue ready to get back to playing football again

Read full KingCo sanctions on Bellevue

· Report: Bellevue coaches violated rules for years, district obstructed probe

Read full WIAA investigative report

 

Bellevue School Superintendent Tim Mills has criticized KingCo for not providing specific factual information to support its decision. He said the sanctions were too severe.

Team supporters, meanwhile, have been battling the district to seek the reinstatement of head coach Butch Goncharoff, who is on leave pending possible termination. The booster club has indicated that it may pursue lawsuits to protect the program.