Kenney Bui, who died Monday after suffering a head injury in an Evergreen High School football game, had suffered previous concussion in early September, according to a spokeswoman for Highline Public Schools.

Share story

Evergreen football player Kenney Bui, who died Monday after suffering a head injury during a game three days earlier, previously had a concussion, according to a spokeswoman for Highline Public Schools.

“I can confirm that Kenney Bui had a mild concussion in early September,” said Catherine Carbone Rogers, chief communications officer for Highline Public Schools in an email to The Seattle Times. “He was seen by a doctor and cleared for our Return To Play protocol, which eases the athlete back into practice and games over a couple of weeks.”

The Return To Play protocol is a set of guidelines from the Center for Disease Control that includes a five-step process to allow a player to return to games. Monitoring a player throughout the process is highly stressed.

Bui’s head injury, as well as two others suffered by high-school football players in the state in the span of a week, certainly continues the discussion about the safety of the game. One expert stressed the complexity of head traumas in a conversation with the Times on Friday.

“What is the individual profile and why are some people so bothered by this injury and others are unaffected at all?” said Dr. Stanley Herring, medical director of Sports, Spine and Orthopedic Health for UW Medicine and co-medical director of the Sports Concussion Program, a partnership between UW Medicine and Seattle Children’s Hospital. “And therein lies the work.

“It doesn’t mean that you don’t know right now and act on it – we’re very active on legislation, education, rules changes, modification of contact. You do what you can now.”

Susan Enfield, Highline School District superintendent, told Q13 Fox News on Thursday that Bui had suffered a concussion. A video of her interview was posted on the Seattle TV station’s website.

Bui was a student in the Highline School District at Technology, Engineering and Communication High School on the Evergreen campus and played football for the Burien high school. He suffered the injury during the fourth quarter of a game against Highline High School of Burien on Oct. 2 and was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle by ambulance. No formal services are planned for Bui, but gatherings to remember him were scheduled for Friday and Saturday.