Mat Classic will still take place over two days at the Tacoma Dome, but will have a 32-entrant field.
With snow in the forecast this weekend, the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association decided to cancel regional wrestling tournaments scheduled across the state Saturday.
Instead, all regional qualifiers become state qualifiers as the WIAA will expand the state field from 16 to 32 entrants.
The WIAA made the decision to cancel all regionals, even though some areas might not be impacted by weather, so all wrestlers were entering the state tournament, dubbed Mat Classic, on a level playing field, WIAA Executive Director Mike Colbrese said Friday.
Mat Classic will still take place over two days (Feb. 15-16) at the Tacoma Dome.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Seahawks mock draft: A post-Frank Clark projection of how the draft might unfold for Seattle
- Seattle had its greatest NBA moment since Sonics left when Damian Lillard waved 'goodbye' to OKC | Matt Calkins
- Observations from the UW Huskies' 13th practice of spring football
- Felix Hernandez gives vintage performance vs. Padres — and Mariners give him vintage run support VIEW
- Seahawks solve one problem but create another by trading Frank Clark to Chiefs | Larry Stone
“We decided the only fair way to address it would be to bring them all into the Dome,” Colbrese said.
Some details of the expanded state tournament are still being worked out and will be decided Monday.
The Class 4A Region IV tournament in Camas is still planning to wrestle Friday, according to the Vancouver Columbian. It will pare a 16-team field down to the eight that will qualify for state but there will be no wrestling Saturday.