Northwest named top team for Division II schools, which have enrollments of under 600.
The Northwest School girls cross-country team was named the best Division II team in the nation by the National High School Coaches Association.
Northwest won the Class 1A team title at Sun Willows Golf Course in Pasco on Nov. 5.
The Division II refers to the school’s size. The category is for schools with enrollments of under 600.
“The Northwest girls team performance averaging 19:44 for the difficult Sun Willows 5000-meter course ranks as one of the great small school team efforts of all time,” Aron Taylor, founder of XCNation.com which issues the annual awards on behalf of the coach’s association, said in a release from the school. “Northwest’s stellar performance is worthy of National Championship recognition.”
Most Read Sports Stories
- No matter how it plays out, Lorena Martin's racism claim against Mariners stains the organization | Larry Stone
- Bench coach Manny Acta defends Scott Servais, Mariners after allegations of racism by Lorena Martin | Larry Stone
- Pac-12 Bowl Projections: Signs still point to Huskies in Rose Bowl
- Safeco Field could become T-Mobile Field under Mariners' new agreement
- Marysville-Pilchuck's RaeQuan Battle signs with Washington, becomes first from Tulalip Tribes with DI hoops scholarship
The coaches association honored Isa Meyers and Macenna Hansen at No. 5 and No. 6, respectively. They were third and fourth at the state meet.
Northwest School also had an individual state cross-country title as Tibebu Proctor won his second consecutive Class 1A boys individual title.