Vikings hand third-ranked Puyallup its first loss of season in opening round of State 4A tournament

Share story

BOTHELL — With all the offensive weapons the Inglemoor High School boys soccer team possesses, it was a touch odd that a huge defensive stop for senior goalkeeper Justin Busby made the difference.

After that, it was an avalanche of offense for the Vikings.

Ninth-ranked Inglemoor ultimately ran third-ranked Puyallup into submission for a dominant 3-0 victory in the first round of the Class 4A state playoffs Tuesday night at Pop Keeney Stadium.

Puyallup had a prime opportunity to tie the match at 1-1 in the 40th minute when Busby was called for a foul on Blake McMillian in the penalty area. But Busby made amends with a diving save to his left to stop Trevor Lee’s ensuing penalty kick.

“That seemed to bring a lot of confidence to the team, knowing that I’m back there,” said Busby, who helped his team to its eighth shutout of the season with 11 saves. “Then, they could focus on getting a lot of goals on their side. I felt really guilty for (the foul). I felt really good being able to pick up my own (mess) I left on the field.

“We generally like to stop opportunities before they even happen, so I’m not even used that much.”

Inglemoor (11-2-3) travels to face the winner of Wednesday’s No. 7 Tahoma-No. 1 Camas match in the state quarterfinals on Friday or Saturday.

Puyallup finished the season 14-1-3.

Junior Burke Fahling finished with a goal and an assist for the victorious hosts.

“Everyone just played really good,” Fahling said. “We were just way faster than them. That (PK save) did a lot for us. It would’ve been 1-1. Busby’s a good keeper, one of the best in the state.”

Fahling danced around on the left wing and got free to slide a 20-yard blast just inside the left post to give Inglemoor a 1-0 nod in the 25th minute. It was his team-high 13th goal.

Then, less than a minute into the second half, forward Jordan Travis shouldered a shot into left corner of the net from close range for a 2-0 Vikings’ lead. Travis’ goal was set up when Burke Fahling made a run up the left wing and hit Travis with a pass between defenders.

Busby also turned back a close-range shot from Puyallup’s Brad MacDougall in the 50th minute.

Inglemoor pushed the lead to 3-0 in the 60th minute on senior Sawyer Stewart’s 19-yard blast on a slide pass from Rio Alcorta.

“That (PK save) was big, because they were starting to press us a bit,” Inglemoor coach Kevin McGibbon said. “Then, the big difference was scoring right at the beginning of the second half, because there’s a big difference between 2-0 and 1-0.”