Snohomish wins school’s fourth in Class 4A.

Share story

PUYALLUP — Even at age 16, Stirling Russell has played a lot of meaningful soccer.

But admittedly, he’s never had a more meaningful moment in the sport.

Just seconds before the end of the first half, Russell cracked the Garfield defense and scored in the 40th minute to help second-ranked Interlake beat the Bulldogs 1-0 on Saturday in the Class 3A championship at Sparks Stadium.

That one run and score gave the Saints (17-2-1) the school’s first state title in the sport, bettering the second-place finish in 4A (then AAA) in 1984. Interlake faced constant pressure from the Bulldogs (16-4-2) in the final 20 minutes, but did the job.

“This is the biggest goal I’ve ever scored, and the most proud goal for my teammates,” Russell said. “I owe this to them to play well. To win the game is a great honor.

“We defended quite a bit, but we did a great job of keeping them out and not giving them any chances. We gave them long-range shots.”

Russell, a sophomore, finished an impressive run up the right side, threading through an 11-yard shot from a tough angle into the upper middle part of the net for a 1-0 lead. His goal came just about five seconds before the end of the half in stoppage time of the 40th minute.

“We just saw the outside backs step in, and Stirling is really fast and good at one-on-ones,” Interlake senior forward Jason Rodriguez said. “He just took him three (steps) outside and went in and took an extra touch and shot it near post.

“Those were the longest (last) two minutes of my life (defending Garfield).”

Garfield’s runner-up finish was the best in school history as the Bulldogs had never made it past the state quarterfinals before this season.

Cole Robinson probably had Garfield’s best chance in the 44th minute, caroming a mid-range shot off the top of the crossbar.

Interlake goalkeepers Forrest Gobble and Sam Dawson combined for the shutout.

4A Finals Snohomish 3, Central Valley 1

The Panthers (19-2-1) secured the school’s fourth 4A state title with a comeback victory. They also become the first 4A school to repeat since Decatur in 2001 and 2002.

Snohomish knotted the match at 1-1 when Brennan Judy finished off a header toward goal from Josh Dombol in the 58th minute. The play started with a long throw-in from Blake Crutchfield that bounced around before settling on Dombol’s head.

Hal Udertiz poked a short shot through a crowd for a 2-1 Panthers’ lead in the 65th minute after a long Crutchfield throw from the right sideline.

Then, another Crutchfield throw ended up on the head of Kristian Barney, who found the net at the left post in the 68th minute.

2A Finals Archbishop Murphy 3, Fife 0

Arch Astone scored twice in the Wildcats’ win at Sunset Chev Stadium Saturday afternoon. Matt Williams also scored for Archbishop Murphy, which finished the season 20-1-1.