WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — Samajae Haynes-Jones scored 17 points and hit a dramatic layup with a second remaining to lift Wichita State to an 85-83 victory over SMU on Wednesday night.
SMU’s Jimmy Whitt Jr. hit a step-back 10-footer to tie the game at 83 with 19 seconds to go. After a Wichita State timeout, the Shockers got the ball to Haynes-Jones who worked the clock down then drove the lane. He crossed over from the right side to the left and made a scooping left-handed layup for the go-ahead bucket with one second left. After an SMU timeout, the Shockers knocked a long inbound pass out of bounds as time ran out.
Jahmal McMurray scored nine consecutive SMU points as the score moved from 69-all to 78-all with 1:59 remaining. At that point Jaime Echenique scored for WSU, Isiaha Mike hit a 3-pointer for an SMU 1-point lead, and Echenique made two free throws to put the Shockers back ahead 82-81 with a minute left. SMU finally missed but Feron Hunt got the rebound and was fouled. He missed both, then Echenique made 1 of 2 before Whitt tied it one last time.
Erik Stevenson scored 17 points and Echenique added 12 points. They both had six rebounds for the Shockers (9-11, 2-6 American Conference).
Most Read Sports Stories
- Gonzaga legend and Basketball Hall of Famer John Stockton draws ire for anti-vaccine comments
- Michigan defensive line twins Armon, Jayvon Parker announce dual commitments to UW Huskies
- Seahawks position review: Russell Wilson is still the Seahawks quarterback for now. But who will be behind him?
- Zion Tupuola-Fetui announces he'll return to UW for fifth season in 2022: 'Let's go to work'
- Here's how the overtime NFL playoff game between the Chiefs and Bills could have been even better
Mike scored 25 points, McMurray added 19 and Ethan Chargois had 16 points and 12 rebounds for SMU (12-8, 4-4).
Neither team led by more than four points in the final 12 minutes, a period with seven ties and five lead changes.