LAFAYETTE, La. (AP) — JaKeenan Gant scored 28 points with eight rebounds, P.J. Hardy scored 18 and Louisiana-Lafayette beat South Alabama 88-84 on Thursday night.
Hardy’s 3-pointer with 2:20 left broke an 80-all tie. He made a key steal 27 seconds later that led to Cedric Russell’s 3 and the Ragin’ Cajuns (12-7, 3-3 Sun Belt) closed it out shooting 4 of 6 from the foul line in the final 51 seconds. Jerekius Davis finished with 17 points and Russell scored 15 with 5 3s.
Louisiana made 12 of 27 (44.4 percent) from beyond the arc.
Trhae Mitchell led South Alabama with a career-high 31 points shooting 13 of 23 from the field with three 3s and 12 rebounds — one off his career high. Josh Ajayi added 23 points, going 10 of 14 from the foul line, and 12 boards. John Pettway made all five of his shot attempts and scored 14 points and Herb McGee scored 10.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Analysis: What the latest Russell Wilson report means for the Seahawks
- Tongan Olympian who became a viral sensation for his oiled torso asks for tsunami help
- WSU Cougars defensive tackle Dallas Hobbs ends football career, will pursue other ventures
- UW Husky men's win vs. Stanford wasn't just a victory, it was a message to the Pac-12 that they're better than expected
- Mariners mailbag: Answering questions on spring training, lockout timelines and uniform changes