The Spurs are trying to win their fourth NBA title in nine seasons. A look at teams in other major sports who have been that successful...
The Spurs are trying to win their fourth NBA title in nine seasons. A look at teams in other major sports who have been that successful:
NBA (3 teams)
• The Boston Celtics have won 16 titles. Their best stretch was 1957-66, when they won nine of 10 NBA championships.
• The Lakers have won 14 titles, nine in Los Angles, five in Minnesota. In L.A., the best streak was 1980-88, winning five of nine seasons. Minnesota won five of six from 1949-54.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Will UW men land 5-star recruit Isaiah Stewart? Huskies will find out Sunday
- Jake Browning gets start, throws two interceptions during NFLPA Collegiate Bowl
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- What separates the haves and the have-nots of high-school athletics — and Washington's plan to fix it
- UW's Jake Browning set to play in NFLPA Collegiate Bowl at the Rose Bowl on Saturday
• The Chicago Bulls won six titles in eight seasons (1991-93, ’96-98).
NFL (2 teams)
Pittsburgh, San Francisco and Dallas have each won the Super Bowl five times. Only the Steelers and 49ers managed to win as many as four in a nine-year period.
• The Steelers won four times in six seasons (1975-76, ’79-80).
• The 49ers won four of nine (1982, ’85, ’89-90).
Major League Baseball
• The Yankees have won the World Series 26 times, with several stretches of at least four titles in nine seasons. From 1947-53, the Yankees won six of seven years. Their most recent run was four titles in five years, 1996-2000.
• The Boston Red Sox are the only other team to do it, winning four of seven from 1912-18.
NHL (3 teams)
Since 1974-75, when the NHL went to two conferences, three teams have won at least four Stanley Cup championships in nine seasons, but no one since 1990.
• The Montreal Canadiens won four in a row, 1976-79.
• The New York Islanders won the next four, 1980-83.
• Then the Edmonton Oilers won five of seven from 1984-90.
WNBA (1 team)
• The Houston Comets won the first four league titles, 1997-2000.