Sean Elledge's excitement rose as he saw a path of green turf in front of him. "I started running," said Elledge, Glacier Peak's senior...

Share story

MARYSVILLE — Sean Elledge’s excitement rose as he saw a path of green turf in front of him.

“I started running,” said Elledge, Glacier Peak’s senior defensive back. “I was looking around and I saw no one behind me, and I just got jacked up. That kind of changed the momentum of the game.”

Elledge’s third-quarter interception and touchdown return was the pivotal play in the Grizzlies’ 49-40 victory over Marysville-Pilchuck Friday night in the Class 3A WesCo title game at Quil Ceda Stadium.

It was one of three interceptions grabbed by Glacier Peak defenders, and it came at a time when Marysville-Pilchuck trailed by one point and was driving for a go-ahead score.

Most Read Stories

Unlimited Digital Access. $1 for 4 weeks

No. 6-ranked Glacier Peak (8-1 overall) would not trail again in a back-and-forth game against No. 10 Marysville-Pilchuck (7-2).

Both teams move on to the round of 32.

“The first season is over,” Glacier Peak coach Rory Rosenback told his players after the game. “The second season starts tomorrow.”

Glacier Peak won on the strength of its drive-ending interceptions and four touchdown passes by quarterback Chris Becerra.

The Tomahawks experienced major success on the ground with Kacey Walker (28 carries, 304 yards) and Austin Joyner (15 carries, 159 yards).

But Joyner left the game for good in the third quarter after leaving the field woozy and limping following a big hit. The next play, Elledge stepped in front of Jake Luton’s pass and returned it for a touchdown.

Glacier Peak added another touchdown to build a 42-27 lead before Marysville-Pilchuck staged one more rally as Walker and Luton scored on runs of 56 and 67 yards to cut the deficit to 42-40 with just over eight minutes remaining.

The Tomahawks’ attempt to tie the game ended when Luton’s conversion pass was knocked away in the end zone.

Joyner and Walker entered the game with more than 1,000 yards rushing apiece and showed no signs of slowing down.

Joyner, coming off a 270-yard rushing game against Oak Harbor, bolted for a 50-yard touchdown run on the second play of the game to give the Tomahawks a 7-0 lead just 16 seconds into the game. Marysville-Pilchuck led 27-21 at halftime.