Golfer from West Linn, Ore., earns a one-stroke victory over Australian Nathan Barbieri.
In a pressure-packed final round, 2017 PNGA Player of the Year Cole Madey held off a challenge from Australian Nathan Barbieri to claim the title Wednesday in the Sahalee Players Championship at Sahalee Country Club in Sammamish.
Madey began the day with a one-shot lead over Barbieri.
After sliding back on the front nine, Barbieri inserted himself back into contention by dropping a 45-foot eagle putt on the par-5 11th hole, which put him within two of Madey. Barbieri eventually took the lead for the first time on the par-4 14th when he birdied from 8 feet while Madey bogeyed. Madey tied it on the next hole, then took the lead again on the 16th hole.
Barbieri then tied the championship with a dramatic 22-foot downhill birdie putt on the par-3 17th.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Former WSU quarterback Jason Gesser resigns amid sexual-misconduct allegations
- The Final Word: Bob Condotta reviews what went wrong in Seahawks-Bears
- Report: Russell Wilson's future with Seahawks 'remains uncertain'
- Seahawks need to stay grounded, veer away from the surreal | Stone
- ‘It’s all love’: UW’s Byron Murphy and ASU’s N’Keal Harry prepping for first head-to-head matchup
On the final hole, both hit strong drives of nearly 300 yards on the uphill, 535-yard par-5 18th. But Madey closed the deal with a stunning 245-yard 4-iron to within 12 feet, while Barbieri’s approach caught one of the towering trees that line Sahalee Country Club and fell short of the green. Madey narrowly missed the eagle putt but clinched the victory with a tap-in birdie when Barbieri missed his 15-footer for birdie.
Madey of West Linn, Ore., and UCLA finished with a 7-under-par 281.
Pepperdine junior Joshua McCarthy finished third at 4-under 284.