ROME (AP) — Genoa took a step toward safety with a 3-1 win at relegation-threatened Empoli in Serie A on Monday.
Christian Kouame, Darko Lazovic and Antonio Sanabria scored for Genoa while Giovanni Di Lorenzo had a temporary equalizer for Empoli.
Genoa moved up to 13th place, nine points above the drop zone, while Empoli remained 17th, only three points above the bottom three.
It was Genoa’s second win in seven matches under new manager Cesare Prandelli, the former Italy coach.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Storm star Breanna Stewart reportedly met with NY Liberty last week. Could she actually leave Seattle?
- Huskies men, minus coach Mike Hopkins, win third straight, defeating Oregon State
- The MLB lockout hurts everywhere but especially in Seattle where hope has rarely been higher
- Mariners position overview: Jarred Kelenic wasn't meant to be the everyday center fielder, but it's a role he'll have to embrace
- Despite taking the long road to his dream school, LB transfer Demario King is ready to make an immediate impact at UW
Empoli has lost five of its last six games.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports