LAFAYETTE, La. (AP) — JaKeenan Gant and Marcus Stroman each scored 21 points and Louisiana-Lafayette rallied late to beat Troy 86-81 in a Sun Belt battle on Saturday night.
The Ragin’ Cajuns won their second straight game, the first time they have put together back-to-back wins since they beat McNeese and Southeastern Louisiana in December.
Javan Johnson made two free throws and followed them with a 3-pointer to put Troy in front, 66-62 with 8:19 left. Cedric Russell tied the game at 76-76, and after the teams traded baskets, and then Stroman put the Ragin’ Cajuns in front for good with a layup. Justin Miller and Stroman each hit two free throws down the stretch to protect the lead.
Gant was 4-for-4 from distance and grabbed 10 rebounds for Louisiana-Lafayette (13-7, 4-3). Stroman dished seven assists.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Pittsburgh LB and team captain Cam Bright announces graduate transfer to UW Huskies
- John Stockton’s defiance of COVID-19 mask mandate forces Gonzaga to suspend Hall of Famer’s season tickets
- Gonzaga legend and Basketball Hall of Famer John Stockton draws ire for anti-vaccine comments
- Key dates to keep in mind as the Seahawks navigate the offseason
- Here's how the overtime NFL playoff game between the Chiefs and Bills could have been even better
Varnado finished with 33 points and 11 rebounds for Troy while Alex Hicks and Johnson each added 20 points.