NEW YORK (AP) — The Dallas Cowboys are worth $4.2 billion, making them the most valuable sports franchise for the second straight year, according to Forbes .
In its annual rankings, Forbes placed the New York Yankees second — up from fourth a year ago — with a value of $3.7 billion.
Next are three soccer clubs: Manchester United ($3.69 billion), Barcelona ($3.64) and Real Madrid ($3.58).
The rest of the top 10 includes the New England Patriots ($3.4 billion), New York Knicks ($3.3 billion), New York Giants ($3.1 billion), San Francisco 49ers ($3 billion) and Los Angeles Lakers ($3 billion).
Most Read Sports Stories
- Pac-12 mailbag: Kliavkoff’s culpability, expansion options, WSU's connections and more
- Pac-12 survival guide: Five forces that will define the path to salvation, or extinction
- Breanna Stewart makes 'spicy' trade for Sue Bird, drafts Jewell Loyd in WNBA All-Star selection show
- Abraham Toro rewards Mariners with walkoff win after George Kirby rebounds admirably vs. A's
- Ray and Rodriguez spark Mariners' 2-1 victory over Oakland
The rankings are based on Forbes’ valuations done over the last year for all NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, soccer, NASCAR and Formula One teams.
The average current value of the top most valuable teams is $2.5 billion, the highest to date, an increase over last year, when the average value was $2.2 billion.
AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFL