AIX-EN-PROVENCE, France (AP) — U.S. Open champion Sloane Stephens will open play for the U.S. against Pauline Parmentier of France in the Fed Cup semifinals.
France No. 1 Kristina Mladenovic and CoCo Vandeweghe will follow on Saturday in the second singles at the new 6,700-capacity Arena Pays d’Aix. France has opted for an indoor clay court.
Mladenovic and Amandine Hesse are set to face Madison Keys and Bethanie Mattek-Sands in the doubles on Sunday following the reverse singles.
France and the United States meet for a 14th time, with the Americans holding an 11-2 winning record. The French won their most recent meeting, in 2014.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Analysis: Where the QB battle stands and four other thoughts after the Seahawks' preseason opener
- Quarterback play a mixed bag as Seahawks lose to Steelers to open preseason play
- Analysis: With one preseason game done, time to project the Seahawks' 53-man roster
- Rookies Tariq Woolen and Coby Bryant start at cornerback for Seahawks, learn a few lessons
- Tobin Heath brings experience, leadership to OL Reign as she settles in with new club
Both teams are missing their highest-ranked player: No. 8 Venus Williams for the U.S., and No. 7 Caroline Garcia for France.
Germany is facing the Czech Republic in the other semifinal in Stuttgart.