DORTMUND, Germany (AP) — Borussia Dortmund has signed Argentine central back Leonardo Balerdi from Boca Juniors to help cover its defensive worries.
The Bundesliga leader, reacting after injuries to Manuel Akanji, Dan-Axel Zagadou und Abdou Diallo, says the 19-year-old Balerdi signed a “very long-term contract” on Monday. It does not give the length of the deal.
Dortmund initially planned on signing the Argentina Under-20 defender in the summer but brought the deal forward to boost its defensive options ahead of the second half of the season.
Sporting director Michael Zorc says, “Leonardo is an intelligent, strong defender who is good in the air. He is also good in passing and build-up play. We are very happy that he decided for us and are convinced that he will help us with his talent in the future.”
Most Read Sports Stories
- The Seahawks can still become a Super Bowl contender, but their loss to the Ravens is alarming | Larry Stone
- In his return to Seattle, Ravens' Earl Thomas talks a little trash and picks up a win vs. Seahawks VIEW
- Washington's Pac-12 title chances have been dashed. So what do these Huskies have to play for?
- Sticker shock aside, NHL Seattle is banking on fans paying big to watch its team in person | Inside the NHL
- Seahawks trade for Detroit safety Quandre Diggs to bolster depleted secondary
Balerdi trained with Lucien Favre’s team after signing the contract.
News agency dpa reports Dortmund is paying around 15 million euros ($17 million) for the transfer and the club doesn’t plan any more signings in this winter transfer period. Shinji Kagawa, Jeremy Toljan, Dzenis Burnic and Alexander Isak are all candidates to leave.
Dortmund, which leads the Bundesliga by six points from Bayern Munich, restarts its league campaign at Leipzig on Saturday.
More AP Bundesliga coverage: https://apnews.com/tag/Bundesliga and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports