BOCA RATON, Fla. (AP) — Jon Davis scored 24 points and pulled down nine rebounds as Charlotte picked up its first conference win, edging Florida Atlantic 65-60 on Saturday.
Davis was 9 of 11 from the field including five 3-pointers for the 49ers (4-11, 1-3 Conference USA). Jaylan McGill added 12 points and Brandon Younger had 10.
The teams were tied 24-all at the break and Charlotte inched ahead early in the second half on a Milos Supica layup followed by 3-pointers by Davis and McGill to go up 41-36 with 13:34 to play. FAU tied it up 46-all with 8:48 remaining, but the 49ers pulled ahead again on 3s by McGill and Davis, and Davis’ 3-pointer with 1:23 remaining made it 64-51. Xavian Stapleton drained three 3-pointers in the final 1:14 for FAU but the Owls (11-6, 2-2) could not pull ahead.
Stapleton finished with 17 points and four rebounds for FAU.
Most Read Sports Stories
- UW set to face No. 1 North Carolina in Round of 32: Here's what you need to know about the Tar Heels
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Huskies show poise from the top down to make successful return to NCAA tournament
- March on: Huskies' ballhawking defense gets them past Utah State in NCAA tournament opener
- 'He's crazy': How quirky is Huskies coach Mike Hopkins? Let his players tell you | Matt Calkins