BALTIMORE (AP) — Freshman Jose Placer scored 22 points and Ricky Council II made a game-winning 3-pointer with nine seconds remaining in overtime to give UMBC a 65-64 comeback victory over Albany on Saturday.
Placer made a jumper from the free-throw line at 16.9 and Devonte Campbell went 1 of 2 at the line at the other end to give Albany a 64-62 lead. Placer dribbled up the floor and found Council wide open in the corner for a 3, and Cameron Healy was off the mark on a long 3 at the buzzer.
Council only played seven minutes in the 45-minute game.
K.J. Jackson picked up his fourth foul at the 12:22 mark of regulation and fouled out nine minutes later with 17 points and four steals for UMBC (11-9, 3-2 America East). Placer gave UMBC its first lead of the second half at 50-49 with 4:24 to play. The Retrievers led for only 4:46.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Analysis: What the latest Russell Wilson report means for the Seahawks
- Tongan Olympian who became a viral sensation for his oiled torso asks for tsunami help
- WSU Cougars defensive tackle Dallas Hobbs ends football career, will pursue other ventures
- UW Husky men's win vs. Stanford wasn't just a victory, it was a message to the Pac-12 that they're better than expected
- Mariners mailbag: Answering questions on spring training, lockout timelines and uniform changes
After an offensive rebound, Placer made a driving layup and was fouled to cut it to 55-53 with 1:20 left in regulation. Albany escaped the backcourt pressure and Ahmad Clark grabbed his own missed runner before calling time out at 43.8. Albany dribbled down the shot clock, but turned it over and Arkel Lamar made a fast-break layup to tie it at 55. With no timeouts, Albany was not able to get off a final shot.
Healy had 24 points, five rebounds and five assists for Albany (5-14, 0-4).