Rui Hachimura scored 33 points and Zach Norvell Jr. added 23 for the host Zags.
SPOKANE – Rui Hachimura scored 33 points to help third-ranked Gonzaga rout Idaho State 120-79 in the season opener for both teams Tuesday night.
Zach Norvell Jr. added 23 points for Gonzaga, which has the highest preseason ranking from The Associated Press in school history.
Brandon Boyd scored 13 points for Idaho State.
Gonzaga was sloppy early in the game, leading to opportunities for the Bengals.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Will UW men land 5-star recruit Isaiah Stewart? Huskies will find out Sunday
- Jake Browning gets start, throws two interceptions during NFLPA Collegiate Bowl
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- What separates the haves and the have-nots of high-school athletics — and Washington's plan to fix it
- Edgar Martinez is on the verge of the Hall of Fame. Meet the fans who've been with him from the start. | Larry Stone
Kelvin Jones, the 6-foot-10 center for Idaho State, made an impact on defense. But he picked up his third foul in the first half, limiting his time on the court the rest of the way. Jones fouled out in the second half.
Gonzaga led 37-29 before going on a 10-2 run over the course of 1:28. The run by the Zags gave them a 47-31 advantage that was extended.
Gonzaga saw room for improvement.
“I think they scored 80 or something, so we got to play more defense,” said Hachimura.
Gonzaga played without standout forward Killian Tillie, who is expected to be out for about eight weeks with an ankle injury.