American defenders Andrew Gutman and Manny Perez have signed 3½-year contracts with Celtic.
Both were immediately loaned Thursday to second-tier United Soccer League Championship for the 2019 season. Gutman was sent to Nashville and Perez to North Carolina.
Gutman is a 22-year-old who was a senior at Indiana and won the Hermann Trophy as the top men’s college soccer player last year. He was a member of the Chicago Fire’s youth academy and trained with Rangers, Celtic’s Glasgow rival.
Perez is a 19-year-old right back who was a sophomore at North Carolina State. He played for the U.S. at last year’s CONCACAF Under-20 Championship.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Instant analysis: Three impressions from the UW Huskies' 45-19 win over BYU VIEW
- 'He's an NFL quarterback': Jacob Eason was at his finest against BYU — and others took notice | Larry Stone
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Gardner Minshew isn't the Northwest's first out-of-nowhere sports story, but he may be the best | Matt Calkins
- The King's Farewell: The end of Felix Hernandez's long, complicated journey with the Mariners | In-depth
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/tag/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports