MILWAUKEE (AP) — Tori Schickel scored six of her 19 points in the fourth quarter as Butler rallied past No. 11 Marquette for a 61-57 win on Friday night.
Schickel’s layup with 36 seconds to go gave the Bulldogs (20-6, 10-5 Big East Conference) a 59-57 lead and Whitney Jennings made 2 of 4 free throws to cap the scoring. The Golden Eagles (22-5, 13-2) lost for the second time in their last three games.
Butler trailed by eight early in the fourth quarter before scoring 11 straight points for a 54-51 lead with 4:06 to go. Marquette scored four straight points to retake the lead, but Michelle Weaver’s 3-pointer put the Golden Eagles ahead 57-55 and they never trailed again.
Jennings scored 13 points, Weaver added 12 and Kristen Spolyar had 11 for Butler.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Former Kennedy Catholic WR standout Lonyatta 'Junior' Alexander announces transfer from ASU to Washington
- Analysis: Here are 12 items that should be on the Seahawks' offseason to-do list
- Even the Sounders can't believe they landed Albert Rusnak. Here's why the star midfielder chose Seattle.
- 'We are more than just athletes': Bobby Wagner showed deeper side in thought-provoking media sessions
- Mariners mailbag: Answering questions on spring training, lockout timelines and uniform changes
Allazia Blockton scored 14 points, Lauren Van Kleunen had 10 points and 12 rebounds, and Danielle King scored 10 for Marquette.