MUNICH (AP) — Bayern Munich has signed American defender Chris Richards on a long-term deal following his loan move from MLS side Dallas.
The German club says the 18-year-old Richards signed a deal through June 2023 on Thursday.
Jochen Sauer, the head of Bayern’s youth academy, says “Chris has given a good account of himself here over the last half year, and we’re confident he will continue to develop very well at FC Bayern. We see a lot of potential in him.”
Richards, from Hoover, Alabama, joined Bayern on loan last summer and played for its under-19 side. He scored two goals in 21 competitive appearances.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Analysis: What the latest Russell Wilson report means for the Seahawks
- Tongan Olympian who became a viral sensation for his oiled torso asks for tsunami help
- UW Husky men's win vs. Stanford wasn't just a victory, it was a message to the Pac-12 that they're better than expected
- Mariners mailbag: Answering questions on spring training, lockout timelines and uniform changes
- Former Kennedy Catholic WR standout Lonyatta 'Junior' Alexander announces transfer from ASU to Washington
Richards is quoted by Bayern as saying: “I always dreamed of playing at a big club in Europe one day. Now I’ve actually joined one of the top clubs. I’m really very happy.”
More AP Bundesliga coverage: https://apnews.com/tag/Bundesliga and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports