LONDON (AP) — Arsenal says defender Hector Bellerin will be sidelined for the rest of the season after rupturing ligaments in his left knee.
Bellerin went down unchallenged during the second half of Arsenal’s 2-0 victory over Chelsea in the Premier League on Saturday and he was carried off on a stretcher.
The 23-year-old Spaniard was making his first start since overcoming a calf problem in mid-December.
Arsenal says Bellerin will undergo surgery to repair the anterior cruciate ligament in the “coming days.”
Most Read Sports Stories
- Mariners playoff times announced for wild-card series in Toronto
- M's sweep Tigers in doubleheader, set playoff date at Toronto
- Mariners fall to Tigers, giving Toronto top wild-card spot
- Reactions to Kraken's new mascot, Buoy, roll in
- Can Geno Smith play his way into a permanent role with the Seahawks?
Arsenal says “the rehabilitation process is expected to take between six to nine months and therefore rules Hector out of action for the remainder of this season.”
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports