ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) — Mike Minor has pitched six perfect innings for the Texas Rangers against the San Diego Padres.
The left-hander has struck out five and thrown 70 pitches Wednesday night. The closest San Diego has come to a hit was Jose Pirela’s sharp grounder to the left side in the fifth inning. Shortstop Elvis Andrus went deep in the hole to field it, and his long throw narrowly nabbed Pirela.
Minor signed with Texas as a free agent last December. The 30-year-old returned to the majors in 2017 after having shoulder surgery in 2015 and made 65 relief appearances for the Kansas City Royals last year
Minor entered Wednesday 5-4 with a 5.06 ERA as a starter this season, though he’s 1-0 with a 2.84 ERA in three June starts.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Seahawks agree to trade DB Ugo Amadi for Eagles receiver J.J. Arcega-Whiteside
- Analysis: With one preseason game done, time to project the Seahawks' 53-man roster
- Sam Haggerty starts the chaos on the bases as Mariners score four in ninth to beat Angels
- Here's where Mariners sit in national media's latest MLB power rankings
- Analysis: Where the QB battle stands and four other thoughts after the Seahawks' preseason opener
More AP baseball: https://apnews.cm/tag/MLBbaseball