LOS ANGELES (AP) — Chael Sonnen is returning to mixed martial arts with the Bellator promotion, the veteran fighter tells The Associated Press.
The 39-year-old Sonnen signed a multiyear, multi-fight deal with the UFC’s largest competitor on Thursday night, Bellator confirmed to the AP.
Sonnen has fought for the UFC middleweight and light heavyweight titles during a tumultuous MMA career. The talkative, versatile fighter became one of the sport’s most visible figures before he received a two-year suspension in 2014 for failing a drug test.
Sonnen announced his retirement after that positive test, and he repeatedly denied interest in returning. When asked Thursday why he took that stance, Sonnen said: “I’m a heel. Heels lie.”
Most Read Sports Stories
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson surpassed by Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes as NFL's highest-paid player
- Mariners to open coronavirus-delayed season with seven-game road trip, starting in Houston
- Here are the 20 best Washington State athletes of the past 20 years VIEW
- Four-star 2021 WR Jabez Tinae continues Kennedy Catholic pipeline by verbally committing to Washington
- MLB has coronavirus testing issues. Here's how the Mariners have avoided them
Sonnen says he is willing to fight at any weight in Bellator, and he won’t ask for any specific opponents.