LOS ANGELES (AP) — Chael Sonnen is returning to mixed martial arts with the Bellator promotion, the veteran fighter tells The Associated Press.
The 39-year-old Sonnen signed a multiyear, multi-fight deal with the UFC’s largest competitor on Thursday night, Bellator confirmed to the AP.
Sonnen has fought for the UFC middleweight and light heavyweight titles during a tumultuous MMA career. The talkative, versatile fighter became one of the sport’s most visible figures before he received a two-year suspension in 2014 for failing a drug test.
Sonnen announced his retirement after that positive test, and he repeatedly denied interest in returning. When asked Thursday why he took that stance, Sonnen said: “I’m a heel. Heels lie.”
Most Read Sports Stories
- Jarred Kelenic's torrid start to his AAA season has earned him a call-up to the Mariners
- The Seahawks will open the 2021 season at the Colts. Here’s what we know so far about their schedule
- Here's how WSU outlasted men's college basketball blue bloods to land the highest-ranked recruit in program history
- In Year 3 of their rebuild, the Mariners are slipping back into familiar territory. Is the plan working?
- Analysis: After two underwhelming seasons, UW's defensive line is determined to stop the run
Sonnen says he is willing to fight at any weight in Bellator, and he won’t ask for any specific opponents.