LOS ANGELES (AP) — Chael Sonnen is returning to mixed martial arts with the Bellator promotion, the veteran fighter tells The Associated Press.
The 39-year-old Sonnen signed a multiyear, multi-fight deal with the UFC’s largest competitor on Thursday night, Bellator confirmed to the AP.
Sonnen has fought for the UFC middleweight and light heavyweight titles during a tumultuous MMA career. The talkative, versatile fighter became one of the sport’s most visible figures before he received a two-year suspension in 2014 for failing a drug test.
Sonnen announced his retirement after that positive test, and he repeatedly denied interest in returning. When asked Thursday why he took that stance, Sonnen said: “I’m a heel. Heels lie.”
Most Read Sports Stories
- What UW's College Football Playoff rankings snub means for Rose Bowl hopes
- Pac-12 bowl projections: UW football left to wonder a giant 'what if'
- Florida QB Kitna arrested on child pornography charges
- In record-setting game, Kraken win 6th straight, 9-8, in OT
- Seahawks 'miss everything' about Bobby Wagner, whose Rams are Seattle's next opponent
Sonnen says he is willing to fight at any weight in Bellator, and he won’t ask for any specific opponents.