Angelique Kerber is back at No. 1, replacing Serena Williams atop the WTA rankings.
Monday’s move up from No. 2 represents Kerber’s third stay to the top spot, for a total of 26 weeks.
Because of a quirk in the rankings due to a slight shift in the tour calendar, Williams briefly returned to No. 1 last month, even though she has not played a match since winning the Australian Open in January. It was her 23rd Grand Slam title.
Williams revealed last month that she is pregnant.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Pac-12 mailbag: Kliavkoff’s culpability, expansion options, WSU's connections and more
- Pac-12 survival guide: Five forces that will define the path to salvation, or extinction
- Garfield High star Dalayah Daniels set to make impact after transferring home to UW
- At midpoint of year, Mariners are showing their season is half-full
- Breanna Stewart makes 'spicy' trade for Sue Bird, drafts Jewell Loyd in WNBA All-Star selection show
She is due to give birth in the fall and is taking the rest of the year off, but she plans to return to competition in 2018.
More AP tennis coverage: https://apnews.com/tag/apf-Tennis