TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Shizz Alston Jr. had 24 points, including the game-winning free throw, as Temple narrowly defeated South Florida 70-69 in overtime on Saturday night.
South Florida’s LaQuincy Rideau tied it at 69 with a layup with 11 seconds left in overtime before Alston made 1 of 2 free throws for the final score. The Bulls’ David Collins missed two free throws with one second to go.
Nate Pierre-Louis had 14 points for Temple (19-7, 9-4 American Athletic Conference), including two free throws that tied it at 59 to force overtime. J.P. Moorman II added eight rebounds.
Temple trailed 23-20 at halftime, a season low for first-half points.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Storm star Breanna Stewart reportedly met with NY Liberty last week. Could she actually leave Seattle?
- Huskies men, minus coach Mike Hopkins, win third straight, defeating Oregon State
- The MLB lockout hurts everywhere but especially in Seattle where hope has rarely been higher
- Mariners position overview: Jarred Kelenic wasn't meant to be the everyday center fielder, but it's a role he'll have to embrace
- Despite taking the long road to his dream school, LB transfer Demario King is ready to make an immediate impact at UW
Rideau had 16 points for the Bulls (17-8, 7-6). David Collins added 15 points and Xavier Castaneda had 11.
The Owls improve to 2-0 against the Bulls for the season. Temple defeated South Florida 82-80 on Jan. 12. Temple plays Tulsa at home next Saturday. South Florida matches up against Houston on the road next Saturday.
For more AP college basketball coverage: https://apnews.com/Collegebasketball and http://twitter.com/AP_Top25
This was generated by Automated Insights, http://www.automatedinsights.com/ap, using data from STATS LLC, https://www.stats.com