AKRON, Ohio (AP) — Tyler Cheese had 20 points and 12 rebounds to lead Akron to a 70-67 victory over Central Michigan on Tuesday night.
The Chippewas never led but kept within single digits in the second half, and Dallas Morgan’s 3-pointer pulled them to 67-65 with 14 seconds to play. Cheese made a pair of free throws on the next possession, and Jimond Ivey added one more with four seconds to go.
Akron (11-8, 3-3 Mid-American Conference) avenged an 88-86 overtime road loss to Central Michigan on January 8, and improved to 3-0 at home in conference play. Central Michigan (14-5, 3-3) has lost three of its last four games since having its seven-game win streak snapped.
Cheese was 8-of-17 shooting from the floor and one rebound shy of his career best. Ivey finished with 15 points and Loren Cristian Jackson chipped in with 12.
Most Read Sports Stories
- Mariners playoff times announced for wild-card series in Toronto
- M's sweep Tigers in doubleheader, set playoff date at Toronto
- Mariners history quiz: Test your knowledge of Seattle's playoff drought
- UW men's basketball team lands four-star 2023 recruit Wesley Yates III
- Marco Gonzales goes 7 innings, Ty France hits walk-off single for win in Mariners' regular-season finale
Larry Austin Jr. scored 19 points to lead four in double-figure scoring for the Chippewas. Robert Montgomery had 11 points and 10 rebounds for his first career double-double.