CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Ako Adams scored 16 points, including a pair of clutch free throws with seven seconds left and Rice edged Charlotte 65-61 Thursday night, just the second win on the road this season for the Owls.
Robert Martin added 15 points on 5-for-8 shooting with three 3-pointers and pulled down seven rebounds. Trey Murphy III scored 12 points and had three steals. The Owls (9-13, 4-5 Conference USA) made half their 22 attempts from beyond the 3-point arc.
Jon Davis led the 49ers (5-16, 2-8) with 28 points and four blocked shots. Milos Supica scored 14 with nine boards and three assists and Malik Martin chipped in 11 points. Charlotte has lost four straight.
Rice led for much of the game before falling behind 58-53 with 3:41 remaining. Charlotte used runs of 12-0 and 6-0 while Rice was slumping through a stretch of making just 4 of 15 shots, 0- of 3 from distance.
Most Read Sports Stories
- UW churns out statistical oddities, decimates Cal in Pac-12 opener
- Mariners' latest playoff odds following sweep at hands of Rangers
- Analysis: Instant impressions from UW football's 59-32 win over California
- Mariners drop second in row to Rangers, lose ground in AL West title chase
- Notebook: UW standout wide receiver Jalen McMillan sits out Pac-12 opener against Cal
The Owls finished on a 12-4 pace to regain the lead and hold on with Adams scoring eight points in the last 3:34.