Is it too early for 2015 Academy Award nominations?
If not, here’s two football coaches up for leading actor, from The Miami Herald’s Greg Cote: “(Miami’s) Al Golden and (South Carolina’s) Steve Spurrier, on the tail of disappointing 6-6 seasons, trying to convince everybody how excited they and their teams are to be preparing for the ‘Duck Commander Independence Bowl’ in a place most of us go to great lengths to avoid: Shreveport, La.”
The Cleveland Cavaliers jumped out to a 21-0 lead Monday night against:
Most Read Sports Stories
- Pittsburgh LB and team captain Cam Bright announces graduate transfer to UW Huskies
- John Stockton’s defiance of COVID-19 mask mandate forces Gonzaga to suspend Hall of Famer’s season tickets
- Key dates to keep in mind as the Seahawks navigate the offseason
- Former Hungarian Olympic gymnastic champion dies after COVID infection
- Nothing goes right for UW Huskies men in blowout loss to Oregon
a) the Hornets en route to a 97-88 NBA win.
b) Johnny Manziel and the Browns in a pickup football game.
Pedal to the metal
A truck driver in England broke a world record by jumping a tractor-trailer 83 feet, 7 inches.
To no one’s surprise, the fuel tank tested positive for STP and PEDs.
Keeps on giving
This year’s gag gift destined to get re-gifted yet again next year will be:
a) Aunt Mabel’s fruitcake
b) That ugly Elvis tie
c) Percy Harvin
No ducking this
Among the top 10 thoughts that went through Oregon QB Marcus Mariota’s mind when he won the Heisman Trophy, from CBS’s David Letterman:
• “Can’t believe I beat Meryl Streep.
• “Don’t spike the trophy …
• “I’d like to play in the NFL; does New York have any professional teams?”
Bears QB Jay Cutler answered just a trio of questions — with just one reporter present — in a poorly organized news conference after Monday night’s 31-15 pasting by the Saints.
But no big deal — Cutler has gotten quite used to three-and-outs.
Talking the talk
• Patriots wideout Julian Edelman, to The Boston Globe, after seeing Tom Brady’s lumbering 17-yard run, the QB’s longest in six years: “It’s always fun seeing the Clydesdale run … I call him Brady Vick.”
• TBS’s Conan O’Brien, on the death of Topps’ Sy Berger, 91, the father of baseball cards: “He will be laid to rest in a shoe box somewhere in an attic.”
• Comedy writer Alan Ray, on a surefire sign that a Russian sprinter was doping: “One of the records he broke was the sound barrier.”
• 76ers coach Brett Brown, to AP, on the talent gap between his 2-21 team and the 19-4 Grizzlies: “To think we’re going to beat them apples to apples, we’re not. They’ve got better apples.”
The Madame Alexander Doll Company plans to have a Danica Patrick edition, as well as other NASCAR-branded dolls, out in time for the 2015 holiday shopping season.
The NHRA, not to be outdone, will counter with Barbie and Ken in drag.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com