LONDON (AP) — London Marathon organizers say a 29-year-old man died after collapsing near the end of Sunday’s race in the hottest conditions ever seen for the event.
Matt Campbell, a chef from northwest England who was a contestant on a reality TV cooking show last year, collapsed after 22.5 miles (36.2 kilometers).
Organizers say “although he received immediate medical treatment on the scene from race doctors, he died later in hospital.”
Campbell last year appeared on the BBC’s “Masterchef: The Professionals.”
Most Read Sports Stories
- Sam Haggerty starts the chaos on the bases as Mariners score four in ninth to beat Angels
- Here's where Mariners sit in national media's latest MLB power rankings
- Scott Servais reflects on becoming only second Mariners manager to reach 500 wins
- Mariners go wild again in 9th, stun Angels
- If Seahawks QB competition remains close, Geno Smith will win job
Organizers say a medical examination is still required to discover the cause of death.
The Met Office said temperatures reached 73.8 degrees (23.2 Celsius) near the end of the 26.2-mile (42.2-kilometer) course.