NYON, Switzerland (AP) — UEFA says a one-minute silence to honor Emiliano Sala will be held before all Champions League and Europa League games this week.
Clubs can also choose to wear black armbands as a tribute to the 28-year-old Sala, who died in an airplane crash in the English Channel last month.
UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin says he urges “supporters across the continent to pay their respects to his memory over the coming days.”
The Argentina-born forward was in a single-engine aircraft flying from Nantes in France to start his new career with English Premier League club Cardiff.
Most Read Sports Stories
- 'She's been an inspiration': Gigi Garcia gets an emotional goodbye as Husky women get upset win vs. No. 8 UCLA VIEW
- NFL teams 'all over the map' on UW Huskies QB Jacob Eason as scouting combine looms
- Analysis: Is there enough time for UW Huskies to make a run? Can Jaden McDaniels and Nahziah Carter co-exist?
- Dragons and XFL have been an early hit in Seattle, but jury's still out on league's staying power VIEW
- The losing streak is over: UW Huskies stifle California in win to avoid 10th straight defeat
Sala’s body was recovered from the wreckage last week but pilot David Ibbotson is still missing.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports