You may find a way you love to give back year-round.
This holiday season, take the time to discover the countless opportunities to support children in your community. You may find a way you love to give back year-round.
Caroline Ullmann has been a longtime volunteer who collects toys, gifts and much-needed items such as diapers for her local family resource center throughout the year. The items are then distributed to children and their families.
“I wanted to make a difference in my local community and do something year-round in addition to helping during the traditional holiday giving time,” Caroline says.
“People like Caroline are critical to helping our community have stronger families, so they can raise happy, healthy children,” says Ann Fuller, director of North King County at Children’s Home Society of Washington. “Everyone can do their part. Identifying what you like to do and are comfortable doing is the first step.”
Most Read Stories
- A Washington county that went for Trump is shaken as immigrant neighbors start disappearing VIEW
- Kickoff time, TV info announced for 110th Apple Cup
- Rebound with redemption: Huskies come back to beat Utah behind the unlikeliest of heroes
- Seattle hits record high for income inequality, now rivals San Francisco
- Anthony Bourdain brought 'Parts Unknown' to Seattle — here's where he ate
If you are interested in supporting children and families in your community, here are some ways you can help.
- Contact your favorite charity and ask for a family’s gift list. Many nonprofits keep lists of items that families are requesting this holiday season.
- Box up your family’s gently used (or new) winter coats, hats and gloves. Donate the clothing to your local family and children’s agency.
- Find a nonprofit’s Amazon.com wish list and select some needed items to purchase. Amazon will ship these items directly to the charity.
- Donate food. Collect canned food to give to your local food bank, shelter or family resource center.
- Host a party with a purpose. Have your guests bring items to donate to the charity of your choice.
Remember to talk to your family about your experience – discuss what you did, why you did it, how it felt and what you learned. Enjoy serving others this holiday!
Children’s Home Society of Washington helps create a solid foundation for today’s children that will lead to prosperity for all of us in the future.