Washington State University President Elson Floyd is taking a $100,000 pay cut in response to budget problems.

Share story


WSU president asks for $100K pay cut

Washington State University President Elson Floyd is taking a $100,000 pay cut in response to budget problems.

The university says Floyd told the board of regents Friday he would lead by example with the voluntary cut.

The board accepted his request and lowered his pay to $625,000 a year, effective Jan. 1. In Seattle, University of Washington president Mark Emmert, who makes $905,000 annually, decided to forgo a pay raise this year.


New leader for Central Washington

A new president was named Friday to head Central Washington University. Dr. James Gaudino will succeed Dr. Jerilyn McIntyre as the school’s 14th president, according to information provided by the school. McIntyre announced her retirement last January; Gaudino takes over Jan. 1.

Gaudino is the first dean of the newly created College of Communication and Information at Ohio’s Kent State University. He holds a Ph.D. in communication from Michigan State University, a master’s degree in management from Troy State University and a bachelor’s degree in humanities from the U.S. Air Force Academy.

Gaudino’s salary information was not available on Friday.


Former teacher charged in sex case

A former teacher at a private Bellevue school has been charged with having sex with a 16-year-old student.

King County prosecutors filed charges Friday against Deene Juncker, 47. He faces up to 54 months in prison if convicted on three counts of sexual misconduct with a minor. He will be arraigned Dec. 4.

Juncker resigned in October as a teacher at Forest Ridge School of the Sacred Heart.

Court papers disclose an e-mail to the girl with the message, “I loved having the chance to truly make love to you the way I have always wanted.”

The student told investigators they were in love and engaged in sexual contact in a park and in a hotel. The relationship ended when her mother became suspicious.


Suspect on run since ’97 nabbed

The final suspect in one of Washington’s largest — and longest — drug investigations was arrested Friday in Amsterdam, more than 15 years after he and three other men allegedly smuggled 50,000 pounds of hashish into the U.S.

Lee Rushing, also known as Anthony Bear, has been on the run since 1997, when he and several others were indicted by a federal grand jury in a plot five years earlier to smuggle the drug into the U.S. from Pakistan, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

The drugs were successfully brought into the U.S. on a fishing boat. According to prosecutors, it was such a large amount of drugs that Rushing and co-defendants Frank Falco and Jeffrey Jay Warren tried to control the flow of hash on the market to keep the price up, according to prosecutors. The huge amount of cash they pulled in eventually led to their capture — a fisherman, Robert Tillitz, who had been hired to smuggle the drugs into the U.S., was caught after burying $445,000 in his front yard.

He was convicted and served almost 10 years in prison.

Falco had been hiding in Guadalajara, Mexico, and surrendered earlier this year. He has pleaded guilty to money laundering and will be sentenced Jan. 9. Warren, arrested in Puerto Vallarta, has also pleaded guilty, and will be sentenced Feb. 20.

Another defendant, Richard Harrison, is serving a 21-month prison sentence.


Hearing on gun-ban proposal set

Mayor Greg Nickels will hold a Dec. 15 public hearing on his proposal to ban firearms on city property and will also push state lawmakers to change a law that appears to preclude the city’s attempt at a ban.

The hearing will be at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall. Written comments may also be submitted at www.seattle.gov/firearmsrule; the proposed rules can also be viewed there.

Nickels wants to prevent gun owners with concealed-weapons permits from carrying guns onto city property. Signs and visual inspections would be used to deter people from bringing guns on city property. City streets and sidewalks would be exempt except when used for special events.

In a nonbinding opinion, state Attorney General Rob McKenna has said Nickels’ ban would not be legal because a state law pre-empts local restrictions on gun rights.

Regina LaBelle, the mayor’s legal adviser, said the city will lobby the state Legislature to change the state law.

Gun-rights groups have said they would sue to block Nickels’ proposal.

Whatcom County

Superintendent of year named

Nooksack Valley School District Superintendent Mark Johnson has been named Washington State’s Superintendent of the Year.

Johnson has led Nooksack Valley’s five schools for 15 years. He’s credited with transforming the small, rural district into a place others look to for inspiration. The district is in Whatcom County.

Johnson will represent Washington in the National Superintendent of the Year program. The winner will be announced in February.


“Person of interest” held in assault

Sheriff’s deputies in Grays Harbor County have arrested a man described as a “person of interest” in the beating and burning of an Aberdeen resident this week.

According to a statement issued Friday by the U.S. Marshals Service, Roderick Terry Reed III was picked up Thursday afternoon as part of a roundup of fugitives in Southwest Washington.

U.S. Marshal Joe Hawe says Reed was arrested in Aberdeen on a warrant issued by the state Department of Corrections. The underlying assault charge is unrelated to Monday’s beating of Marlon Lee.

Surveillance video captured the horrifically burned Lee being dropped off at an Aberdeen Hospital. Lee remained in critical condition in intensive care at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle on Friday afternoon.


Fish broker pleads guilty to mislabeling

A Bellevue fish broker has pleaded guilty in federal court Friday to a felony count of falsely labeling fish bought from China as a product of the United States.

As part of a plea agreement, Kevin Steele, 47, the owner of Mallard Cove Seafood, must take out large advertisements in seafood-industry magazines in which he “he describes his criminal conduct and apologizes” for it, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

In the plea, Steele acknowledged that he had been told by inspectors that he could not market a fish known as turbot — sometimes called Greenland halibut — as halibut on the U.S. market. Despite that warning, between 2003 and 2006 Steele admitted that he bought nearly 70 tons of the Chinese turbot from a Rhode Island distributor, and then repackaged and sold much of it as U.S.-caught halibut.

Most of the fish went to retailers and restaurants in Utah and Texas, the complaint says.

U.S. District Judge John Coughenour said he will calculate the amount of money Steele made selling the turbot at the higher, halibut price, and then order Steele to donate that amount to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation for species protection.

Steele will be sentenced on Feb. 13. He faces up to five years in prison.

Times staff and wire services