You never know what you might find down there…
The Army Corps of engineers is exploding World War II munitions that were found in the water at Pier 91 in Smith Cove at the south end of Interbay this week, according to the Magnolia Voice, one of our community partners.
Cruise ships are docked there and the concern was that one of the behemoth vessels might come in contact with the leftover wartime devices.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 21: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- An Idaho ICU doctor's touching message went viral. Here's what he told his co-workers
- Valuable crab populations are in a 'very scary' decline in warming Bering Sea
- Seattle's COVID eviction moratorium extended into January 2022
The devices were found in 2010 in sediment and were uncovered by cruise ship thrusters.
There’s a video accompanying the story.