A 55-year-old woman was killed Saturday night while crossing train tracks in Kent, the Kent Police Department said.
Witnesses said the woman was walking across the tracks near James Street in downtown Kent when she appeared to fall on the tracks, police said in a prepared statement. She was attempting to get back up when she was hit by the train, witnesses told police.
She was hit by a Burlington Northern freight train at around 7:20 p.m. Saturday, police said.
Police said they were working to determine the sequence of events that led to the woman’s death.
Most Read Local Stories
- Tremors shove Washington westward, offer clues into next big earthquake
- 'It's surreal': Seattle's Pike Place Fish Market sold to fish-throwing employees WATCH
- Kent police officer killed, another officer hurt in collision during early morning pursuit VIEW
- Facing pressure, Washington state lawmaker unblocks constituents from his Facebook page
- Orcas have returned to Puget Sound, and they’ve never faced a bigger menace | Danny Westneat