When Bellingham resident Shannon Lathrop stopped calling her community corrections officer in mid-July last year, something was clearly wrong.

Share story

When Bellingham resident Shannon Lathrop stopped calling her community corrections officer in mid-July last year, something was clearly wrong.

Lathrop, a mentally ill offender supervised by the state Department of Corrections, called her officer, Jeri Reid, obsessively — sometimes more than 30 times a night, Reid said.

But after Reid met with Lathrop, 32, on July 16, 2008, those calls mysteriously stopped. Reid went by Lathrop’s motel room at the Cascade Inn on Samish Way on July 21, but she wasn’t there.

On July 24, a body was found on North Red River Road on the Lummi Reservation. It was next to a burning boat and was so badly burned it took months to identify the body as Lathrop.

“We knew something had happened to her,” said Reid, who supervised Lathrop for years. “Otherwise, she would have continued to call. It’s sad that she died a violent death.”

The FBI identified her that fall when they compared her fingerprint with a national database and found a match, Whatcom County Medical Examiner Gary Goldfogel said.

The FBI did not publicly release her identity, but the Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office confirmed it as Lathrop on Tuesday, April 14.

Goldfogel performed an autopsy on Lathrop shortly after she was found and determined that she had been dead for several days before the fire.

He said he has received the results of toxicology tests, but those did not help in determining the cause of her death.

The FBI has taken over the investigation into the cause of Lathrop’s death and hasn’t shared any information with his office, Goldfogel said.

FBI spokeswoman Robbie Burroughs declined to comment for this story, and directed questions to the Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office, which is also involved in the investigation.

Sheriff’s Chief Criminal Deputy Jeff Parks declined to provide any information about Lathrop’s death.

“That’s not something we’re going to release,” Parks said. “It’s under investigation; we’re working with the FBI. It’s not going to help our case any to be releasing specific details.”

Lathrop grew up in Bellingham, according to court records, but only her dad remains in the area, Reid said. Her mother now lives in Texas, and she also has family in Spokane, Reid said.

None of the relatives could be reached for interviews for this story.

Lathrop spent much of her adult life in Spokane, Bellingham, mental hospitals and jail, Reid said.

Lathrop had a history of drug use, including heroin and methamphetamine, according to court records. She also prostituted herself on Samish Way, said her friend, Steven Heddrick.

Still, she was doing well with her mental health treatment and was just about to complete her supervision time under the Department of Corrections before she disappeared, Reid said.

Her last day on supervision would have been July 23, the day before her body was found.

Heddrick, who lives in the Aloha Motel on Samish Way, said he knew Lathrop for about four months before she disappeared.

For several months after Lathrop’s disappearance, Heddrick said sheriff’s detectives would come by his room to interview him and have him pick out her associates from photo lineups.

Heddrick said Lathrop was frequently delusional and paranoid around him, and talked about people stalking her and trying to kill her.

“I thought it was just crazy talk,” Heddrick said. “And then she ended up dead. I just can’t believe it. Maybe she wasn’t talking crazy.”