Joseph Anthony McDaniels, a rapist who was convicted in March of beating a 22-year-old woman he had pimped out, allegedly drove the woman to the Kent courthouse so that she could ask a judge to quash a no-contact order that had been issued against him. But instead, the woman asked for help — and police...

Share story

A 22-year-old woman seized her chance on Monday to escape from a violent pimp who was convicted in March of beating her with a belt and a bamboo stick as punishment for trying to run away from him, according to King County prosecutors.

Joseph Anthony McDaniels, 42, was charged Thursday with second-degree promoting prostitution and a misdemeanor violation of a no-contact order.

He is being held without bail at the Norm Maleng Regional Justice Center in Kent.

McDaniels, a rapist with a long rap sheet, considered himself “an escort’s escort,” and admitted to advertising the 22-year-old and other women on, the online-advertising site owned by Village Voice Media, but claimed the women were escorts, not prostitutes, court records show.

In December, the 22-year-old’s sister called Auburn police and said McDaniels had the woman chained to a desk inside his apartment, where officers found her, court records say. The 22-year-old, who had prostituted before meeting McDaniels, told detectives she had begun dating McDaniels six months earlier and he persuaded her to return to prostitution “because he needed money,” the records say.

The 22-year-old said McDaniels had taken her to Portland to work as a prostitute and in one incident he beat her in a Portland hotel room after she’d tried to leave him for another man, court records say.

After the Portland incident, McDaniels told her “that if she ever left him, he would find her, place her in the trunk of his car and drive her into the woods, where he would tie her to a tree and beat her,” the records say.

He also threatened her family and refused to allow the woman to be alone with her relatives or friends, according to court records.

On Christmas Eve, however, McDaniels allowed the woman to go to her mother’s house in Seattle, but returned to the residence as the 22-year-old was trying to escape with a male friend, the records say. McDaniels took her back to his apartment where he beat her, according to court records.

McDaniels was arrested after the woman’s sister called police Dec. 29; he was released from jail in March after pleading guilty to fourth-degree domestic-violence assault, court and jail records show. He was ordered not to have any contact with the 22-year-old.

McDaniels was allowed to serve the remaining 153 days of his sentence in the community but was booked back into jail six days after his March 9 release for violating his sentencing conditions, according to the records.

The 22-year-old fled to Portland after learning that McDaniels was being released from jail on April 3, charging papers say. But he found her there and allegedly threatened to “shoot up” her parents’ house and kill her brother if she refused to return to the Seattle area with him, the papers say.

He moved her into his Shoreline house, which his wife didn’t like but allowed, charging papers say.

McDaniels allegedly took the 22-year-old and another woman to Portland April 20, set them up in a motel room and advertised them on, the papers say. The women made a combined $1,200 that weekend, which they handed over to McDaniels, prosecutors say.

On Monday, McDaniels allegedly drove the 22-year-old to the Regional Justice Center so she could ask a judge to quash the no-contact order that had been issued against McDaniels after the December assault, charging papers say.

But instead of asking for the order to be vacated, the woman asked for help — and a staff member in the victim advocate’s office called Kent police. McDaniels was arrested when he returned to pick the woman up, the papers say.

The woman told detectives she feared for her safety and “saw the opportunity at the Regional Justice Center to get away from him,” charging papers say.

McDaniels spent 15 years in prison for a number of crimes, including raping a 16-year-old girl in her home after McDaniels responded to a classified ad she had placed to sell a trumpet, court records show.

He was released from the Monroe Correctional Complex in February 2011, according to the state Department of Corrections.

Sara Jean Green: 206-515-5654 or