A woman shot in a parking lot near Town Hall Wednesday morning was killed by the same gunman who killed four people in a Roosevelt neighborhood cafe, police say.

Share story

The woman shot Wednesday morning in a parking lot adjacent to Town Hall was killed by the same gunman who killed four people in a Roosevelt neighborhood cafe, police say.

The victim, Gloria Leonidas , is a married mother of two girls who attend the Seattle Academy of Arts and Sciences. Her husband, Tom Leonidas, said he could not speak about Gloria’s life yet because the family needed “time to process this.”

Later in the afternoon, the suspect shot himself as police closed in. He died Wednesday night at Harborview Medical Center.

In the shooting near Town Hall, at Eighth and Seneca, witnesses saw the victim and a man arguing in the parking lot around 11:30 a.m. Ibrahim Frishak, a maintenance worker at an apartment building across the street from the shooting, said he was pressure-washing the sidewalk when he heard a loud pop. He looked over and saw a couple rush across the street and begin administering CPR to the woman.

“They are brave, I tell you,” Frishak said of the good Samaritans.

The suspect fled in the woman’s black Mercedes SUV.

The SUV later was found in the 4100 block of Delridge Way Southwest, and authorities searched the area for the suspect. Police say there was a black handgun in the front seat.

Julia Wood, who lives on Delridge, said she saw the SUV arrive in the neighborhood and figured the driver was parking there to catch the bus across the street, because that’s what a lot of people do. She was about to go over and warn him he could get towed if he stayed past 4 p.m.

“I didn’t have a chance, because he was booking,” she said, her hands shaking. “He just really hurried — slammed the door and ran.”

He crossed the street and went up some stairs, disappearing behind some foliage. Police arrived a short time later. She never saw his face.

Police searched for the suspect for hours, saturating the area. A number of schools in West Seattle were in a state of lockdown called “shelter in place.

Late in the afternoon, the suspect was spotted by a detective a mile or two from where the car was abandoned. When he saw officers approaching, he shot himself, according to Seattle police.


Seattle Times staff reporters Maureen O’Hagan, Steve Miletich, Mike Lindblom and Jennifer Sullivan contributed to this story.