Fire erupts after fatal collision near Sammamish.
A woman died after her SUV crossed the centerline of Highway 202 and hit a double dump truck near Sammamish about noon Wednesday, according to the Washington State Patrol.
The dump truck rolled over and the driver was able to escape the cabin before the truck was engulfed in flames, Washington State Patrol Trooper Rick Johnson said. He was transported to the hospital with minor injuries , Johnson said.
The hillside near the accident also caught fire. The Redmond Fire Department, King County Fire District 27 and Eastside Fire & Rescue responded to the scene and extinguished the blaze.
The woman died at the scene and had yet to be identified, Johnson said. The State Patrol is investigating the crash.
Most Read Local Stories
- Bellevue College apologizes after administrator alters display on Japanese American incarceration
- Bothell High School closed Thursday-Friday in 'abundance of caution' over coronavirus fears
- Earth has temporarily gained another moon
- FBI arrests 'violent extremists' after threatening posters sent to minorities, journalist in Seattle area
- Seattle man reflects on solo trail running after breaking leg in Olympic National Forest
“We know that the SUV crossed the line and hit the dump truck, but we don’t know why,” Johnson said.
Highway 202 between 292nd Avenue SE and Tolt Hill Road was closed for cleanup, which Johnson said would take a while.