Human remains found at two separate sites — at a recycling center in Georgetown and underneath the Ship Canal Bridge — have been identified through forensic testing as the body parts of Donald S. Meyer, a 53-year-old Ballard man who was reported missing last year.

Share story

Someone went to great lengths to dispose of the body of Donald S. Meyer, a 53-year-old Ballard man who was reported missing last year, police said.

Part of Meyer’s body was found at a recycling center in Georgetown a month after his June disappearance. Other remains were discovered in December on a hillside beneath the Ship Canal Bridge.

Police sources said Thursday that Meyer’s former roommate, who has been questioned, is considered a person of interest. However, police did not officially confirm that report and no arrests have been made.

Meyer had previous run-ins with the law. In 1991, he was convicted of drug possession and he was charged with second-degree rape the following year. He pleaded guilty to an amended charge of indecent liberties, according to court documents.

Although he was in jail for several years, according to court documents, the state Department of Corrections (DOC) said he did not spend time in prison. He was under DOC supervision for his indecent-liberties conviction, but his case file was closed in 2003, according to agency spokesman Chad Lewis.

Meyer was reported missing in June by three friends, according to court documents. Police said he reportedly sold marijuana.

Several of the people who spoke to police after his disappearance said they were also customers who had gone by his house after failing to reach him on the phone, according to a search warrant filed in King County Superior Court.

Meyer’s friends also told police that they’d found his phone, which had not been used for a week.

That in itself was unusual because Meyer used his phone daily in his line of business, police said.

“They kept going to his house and his roommate kept telling them ‘he’s not here right now, which did not seem right,’ ” according to a police source.

When police first went to investigate, they found one room in Meyer’s home had been stripped bare, the walls repainted and the carpet removed, police sources said.

Crime-scene investigators were called in after small drops of blood were spotted in a corner of the room and more blood that was “not visible to the naked eye” was found with the aid of special chemicals, according to the search warrant.

About a month after Meyer disappeared, a human torso was found on a conveyor belt by employees at a recycling center in Georgetown, police said. Police said the body part was tracked to a commercial recycling bin at a home that was undergoing renovation in Meyer’s neighborhood.

In December, a group of people who were attempting to reach out to homeless people in the Eastlake area stumbled across a bag containing a decomposed human leg underneath the Ship Canal Bridge, according to police. More bags of body parts were found scattered across the sloped hill.

Seattle police spokesman Sgt. Sean Whitcomb said Thursday that police do not believe that there are any additional dump sites.

Not long before Meyer’s death, he had asked a roommate to move out, sources said. Police records indicate that Meyers’ friends said that the roommate was odd and had a “bad vibe.”

The former roommate has been interviewed, according to police sources, and is considered a person of interest. Whitcomb would not confirm whether police had a person of interest in the slaying or if an arrest was imminent.

“It is very much an active and ongoing case,” Whitcomb said.

He urged people with information about Meyer or his slaying to call the SPD tip line at 206-233-5000.

Christine Clarridge: 206-464-8983 or

Seattle Times news researcher Miyoko Wolf contributed to this report, which includes information from Times archives.