Officials say the Western Washington University chemistry building where a lab caught fire last month is expected to be open in time for the start of class.
BELLINGHAM — Officials say the Western Washington University chemistry building where a lab caught fire last month is expected to be open in time for the start of class.
The Bellingham Herald reports that the school announced Wednesday that the building should be back open by Sept. 24.
Six students and one professor were in the lab when the fire erupted in the third-floor lab Aug. 25. A student disposing of a mix of chemicals including acetone and hexane spilled the liquid on the floor and the vapors found an ignition source.
Neither students nor fire fighters were harmed by the fire, though the first firefighters to enter the room complained of sore throats and headaches after breathing the gas.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle household net worth ranks among top in nation — but wealth doesn't reach everyone | FYI Guy
- Hoping for no snow? King and Snohomish counties could see some Wednesday.
- Tim Eyman charged with misdemeanor theft; attorneys call chair's removal from store an accident
- UW Medicine mistakenly exposed information on nearly 1 million patients
- Surprise! If you get a call from this man, it’s no scam. The state really has money for you.
The fire caused more than $1.6 million in damage.