A fire broke out after the owners of the home in the 17000 block of Sargent Road Southwest in Rochester had left for the day, according to a fire department Facebook post.
West Thurston Regional Fire Authority rescued two dogs from a burning home just before noon Wednesday, the agency wrote on its Facebook page.
A fire broke out after the owners of the home in the 17000 block of Sargent Road Southwest in Rochester had left for the day. The two dogs — Zip, an Australian Shepherd, and Faith, a Heeler — went into the bathroom, shut the door and climbed into the bathtub.
The post says the two dogs are self-trained to go to the bathroom and shut the door, and responded that way after sensing danger.
A neighbor called 911 about 11:25 a.m. Wednesday to report the fire. When firefighters arrived, they contained the fire to one room before finding the two dogs in the bathtub unconscious.
Most Read Local Stories
- U.S. officials drill out locks at former Russian consul residence in Seattle's Madison Park VIEW
- The sirens are sounding on homelessness. Just not here. | Danny Westneat
- Flight attendant sues SkyWest Airlines over alleged drugging, rape by captain during layover
- It's happening: Seattle makes history for record-breaking warmth VIEW
- $930 million Move Seattle levy falling behind on project promises, review finds
Firefighters took the dogs outside, treating them with pet oxygen masks. Both dogs were transported to Scatter Creek Animal Clinic, regained consciousness and were breathing on their own.
The veterinarian staff treated the dogs for smoke inhalation and reunited them with their owners.