Tips on how to stay safe and keep your home secure when the power goes out. Plus, information in several languages about the dangers of carbon-monoxide poisoning.

Share story

Tips on how to stay safe when the power goes out:

• Never approach or touch a downed power line or anything in contact with the wire.

• Never use gas ovens, barbecues or portable propane or kerosene heaters for indoor heating. They use oxygen and create carbon monoxide that can cause suffocation.

• Turn off lights and electrical appliances, except for the refrigerator and freezer.

• Unplug computers to protect them from possible surges when power is restored.

• Leave one lamp on so you know when power is restored. Wait at least 15 minutes after power is restored before turning on other appliances.

• A refrigerator freezer will keep food frozen for up to a day without power. A separate, fully loaded freezer will keep food frozen for two days.

• Use an ice chest packed with ice to keep food cold. Buy dry ice to save frozen food.

• Have a charged cell phone available or a corded telephone available. (Cordless phones don’t work without power.)

• Insulate pipes and allow faucets to drip a little during cold weather to avoid freezing. — Learn how to shut off water valves in case a pipe bursts.

• Consider purchasing a generator. Operate it only outside in a well-ventilated place.

 Note to readers

Carbon-monoxide poisoning has killed or sickened many people in our community after storms. In hope of preventing more tragedies, The Seattle Times, in cooperation with Public Health — Seattle & King County, has created the following notice to warn local residents in their native languages. In addition, you can help spread the word among your friends and neighbors. Share this story or a printable version that can be posted or handed out. In addition to the languages below, the printable version includes Russian, Korean and Ukrainian.

Stormy weather tips

For more detailed information about the dangers of carbon monoxide, go to the Public Health Web site:

If you don’t have electricity

• Do not burn charcoal or use gasoline generators indoors, including the garage.

• Never use gas ovens to heat your home. Do not use gas or kerosene heaters in closed rooms.

These things produce deadly carbon monoxide, which has killed several people in past storms.

For more information, call: 1-800-222-1222


 Spanish translation:

Si usted no tiene electricidad

 No queme carbón ni use generadores con gasolina dentro de la casa, esto incluye el garaje. Nunca use hornos de gas para calentar su casa. No use calentadores de gas o querosén en habitaciones cerradas. Estas cosas producen monóxido de carbono, el cual ha causado la muerte de varias personas en previas tormentas.

Para obtener más información, llame al 1-800-222-1222


Chinese translation:








若欲瞭解詳情,請撥打 1-800-222-1222


 Vietnamese translation:

Nếu quý vị không có điện

Không đốt than củi hoặc dùng máy phát điện chạy bằng xăng trong nhà, kể cả nhà đậu xe. Không bao giờ nên dùng bếp lò đun ga để sưởi ấm nhà. Không dùng lò sưởi chạy bằng khí ga hoặc kerosene trong các phòng khép kín. Các chất này tạo ra khí carbon monoxide gây chết người và đã gây tử vong cho nhiều người kể từ cơn bão hôm thứ Năm.

Để biết thêm chi tiết, xin gọi số 1-800-222-1222


 Somali translation:

Haddii ay Koronradu kaa Maqantahay

Ha ku shidin dhuxusha ama matoorka korontada dhaliya aqalka gudihiisa, oo uu ku jiro garaashka. Marna ha u isticmaalin foornada gaaska ku shaqeysa in aad aqalka ku kululeysid. Ha ku isticmaalin qolalka xiran gaaska ama kuleyliyeyaasha ku shaqeeya kerosene-ka. Waxyaabahani waxaa ay dhaliyaan carbon monoxide-ka lagu dhinto, kaasoo dhowr qof dilay tan iyo duufaanankii Khamiistii.

 Translation courtesy of Dynamic Language

Source: King County, Seattle Times archives

Click here for a printable version of the PDF below.