Meteorologists said to expect high winds to last until 9 p.m. Earlier, a 15-year-old girl in Port Orchard suffered serious injuries when a tree fell on a home there. Downed trees also were reported throughout the region.

Share story

What you need to know:

One person was killed and two others seriously injured in Monday’s storm that snarled traffic, toppled power lines and felled trees that tore into cars and homes.

The full report on Monday’s storm is here.

Here’s how the storm unfolded:

Updated, 7:45 p.m.:

Authorities have identified the person who died in Monday’s storm as a mother in her mid-thirties.

She was driving with her sister and 2-year-old child when a tree crashed into the car near Renton, according to the Renton Fire Department. The woman died at the scene.

Her sister, who was in the front passenger seat, is in critical condition.

The toddler is okay, the department reported on Twitter.

The King County Medical Examiner will identify the woman.

Updated, 7 p.m.:

A driver was killed by a falling tree near Renton shortly after 6 p.m., according to a King County Sheriff’s Office spokesman.

A passenger in the front seat was seriously injured and a toddler in the back seat of the car was also injured, said Sgt. Jason Houck.

The accident occurred in the 15900 block of Southeast 179th Street, Houck said.

He did not have details on the identities and ages of the three people in the car.

Updated, 6:35 p.m.:

A tree fell onto a moving car on Interstate 90 in Bellevue’s Eastgate neighborhood, injuring a woman inside the vehicle, according to the Washington State Patrol. She is in stable condition.

The Honda was heading eastbound, near exit 13, around 6 p.m. when Monday’s winds toppled the tree, according to Trooper Rick Johnson. The woman was the only person inside the vehicle.

Bellevue firefighters helped the woman out of the car, and medics took her to a nearby hospital, he said.

No further details were immediately known.

Updated, 6:30 p.m.:

Puget Sound Energy crews are assessing damage in areas where it’s safe to do so, while others are monitoring updates from the National Weather Service to determine their next steps, spokeswoman Janet Kim said.

“The process takes time, especially if weather remains an issue,” the agency said on Twitter. “Unsafe weather conditions can slow these efforts.”

A lot of Monday’s outages are from fallen trees or limbs on power lines, Kim said.

This storm is particularly tough, she added, because so many trees have not lost their leaves yet this fall.

“It’s been really pretty tough,” Kim said. “They are top heavy and come onto our lines.”

For updated weather information, follow the National Weather Service in Seattle’s Twitter account, @NWSSeattle. Or, check the agency’s website at

Updated, 6:10 p.m.:

More than 150,000 customers were without power in Western Washington after high winds picked up Monday and fallen trees toppled power lines.

Puget Sound Energy reported more than 96,000 customers without power Monday evening, Seattle Light was reporting 62,000 and Snohomish PUD reported over 20,000 without power.

Updated, 5:50 p.m.:

A 15-year-old girl suffered “very serious injuries” after she was trapped under a fallen tree in Port Orchard, according to Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Scott Wilson.

A tree fell onto a corner of a mobile home in the 1200 block of Arnold Avenue East, tearing through the roof of the house and into the girl’s bedroom. She was pinned under the roof debris and tree.

The girl’s father and a neighbor worked to free the girl before emergency crews arrived. The girl was taken to Tacoma General Hospital. Puget Sound Energy cut power to electrical lines brought down by the tree.

Updated, 5:40 p.m.:

All southbound lanes of Highway 99/Aurora Avenue are blocked by a fallen tree, or trees, near Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle, according to the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) twitter account.

Updated, 5 p.m.:

More than 100,000 customers were without power in Western Washington after high winds picked up Monday afternoon and fallen trees toppled power lines.

Puget Sound Energy reported more than 50,000 customers without power Monday afternoon, Seattle Light was reporting 59,000 and Snohomish PUD reported over 30,000 without power.

The National Weather Service issued a high-wind warning and said Monday that many areas were seeing gusts topping 50 mph, including a report of a 63 mph gust in West Seattle with even stronger winds on the coast and in North-Central and Northeastern Washington.

Scattered outages also were reported in Tacoma and elsewhere around the region, according to The Associated Press.

Updated, 4 p.m.:

The National Weather Service in Seattle has extended its high-wind warning to 9 p.m. for Puget Sound “interior areas.” A warning for the coast remains until 6 p.m. Local gusts up to 65 mph are expected through 7 p.m. before easing.

Power outages are now affecting more than 29,000 Puget Sound Energy customers, 26,000 Snohomish Public Utility District customers and 8,800 Seattle City Light customers.

Peak winds at the Evergreen Floating Bridge have hit 50 mph.

Previous story:

Winds of up to 65 mph are expected to hit the Puget Sound area from Everett to Tacoma by mid-afternoon Monday, according to the National Weather Service in Seattle, which issued a high wind warning.

The weather system, moving into the region from the south, will bring steady winds of 25 to 45 mph and gusts of up to 65 mph that are expected to build throughout the day and peak from about 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., according to weather service meteorologist Ted Buehner.

The wind warning was upgraded from an advisory Monday morning.

In the early afternoon, wind gusts began to pick up in the region. A tree fell onto northbound Interstate 5 at Northeast 175 Street, briefly blocking two lanes of traffic, according to the Washington State Department of Transportation. A 31-foot wave was recorded off the coast of Aberdeen.

Overnight winds had knocked out power for more than 18,000 Puget Sound Energy customers and more than 5,000 Seattle City Light patrons by morning.

Kitsap Transit canceled its fast-ferry service between Bremerton and Seattle because of high winds, and King County Metro and Snohomish County Community Transit warned that bus service into Seattle was delayed.

A wind warning was also issued for Washington’s coastal areas and the north interior with a forecast of 30 to 40 mph winds and gusts of up to 65 mph, according to meteorologist Art Gaebel.

Waves as high as 22 feet are expected on the coast.

A low-pressure system can be seen over the Pacific Ocean in a composite of satellite images taken Sunday. (NASA)

Monday’s weather system will be closely followed by a second system on Tuesday, the weather service predicts.

“It will be the same scenario,” said Gaebel, “except we don’t expect the winds to be as high as the one today.”

After that, we will be back to our regularly scheduled programming, with rain from Wednesday through the end of the week.

“It kind of makes you miss those late August days,” said Gaebel, referring to a stretch of unseasonably warm summer weather experienced in the Seattle region this year.

Correction, 12:19 p.m. Monday, Nov. 13: This post has been updated. An earlier version misstated the time of day when winds were expected to peak in the Seattle area. A forecast of peak winds at noon actually was for coastal areas.