It wasn’t a drought-buster, but Seattle’s 51-day dry streak ended shortly before midnight Thursday with .01 inches of rain, according to the National Weather Service of Seattle.

While there have been recent drizzles in neighborhoods throughout the region, before Thursday night Seattle-Tacoma International Airport last reported measurable rain on June 14. The city’s weather is officially recorded at the airport.

Friday morning saw some light rain throughout the Puget Sound region, though it let up as the afternoon continued, said NWS meteorologist Justin Pullin on Friday evening.

The weather, coming in from the Pacific Ocean, also pushed smoke in the upper atmosphere to the east, said weather service meteorologist Carly Kovacik.

We’ll get a short break before another front moves in, bringing cooler air with highs in the upper 60s to low 70s and the possibility of more light rain Saturday, Pullin said.

There could be some lingering showers on Sunday morning, but by afternoon we will start to dry out and warm up with highs in the 70s on Sunday, upper 70s on Monday and reaching into the 80s on Tuesday, Kovacik said.


“And Wednesday has the potential to creep up into the 90s,” she said.

The average temperature for this time of year is mid- to high 70s, Pullin said, so he encouraged people to “definitely enjoy the cooler weather this weekend.”

“Next weekend is going to be another hot one throughout the region,” he said.

Kovacik said it’s possible we could see smoke next week depending on the location and setup of the high-pressure ridge that brings the warmer temperatures, but that’s by no means certain.

Pullin also urged people to start preparing for the hot weather late next week, whether that means buying a fan or checking on your home’s air-conditioning unit.

“There’s pretty high confidence that we’ll at least be in the 90s,” he said. “And it doesn’t look like we’re going to cool off too quickly, so it’s better to be prepared early.”

How to prepare for wildfire smoke in your home, car and while outdoors

Staff reporter Elise Takahama contributed to this report.