To avoid deadly carbon-monoxide poisoning during a power outage, follow these important tips. Use the multi-language page to help your neighbors.
Follow these tips to help get through a power outage:
- Have a power-outage kit that includes flashlights and batteries, glow-in-the-dark sticks, a lantern, matches, a wind-up clock, a portable radio, a Mylar blanket and a can opener.
- To avoid deadly carbon-monoxide poisoning, keep generators outdoors when they’re running. Make sure the exhaust is not near a window or other opening to the home. Keep the exhaust and muffler away from combustible material.
- Never burn charcoal indoors. Charcoal produces toxic fumes that can kill quickly. Use this multi-language page to help warn your neighbors.
- Use hot water sparingly.
- Turn off most electrical devices, and unplug sensitive electrical equipment. Leave a light switched on, however, so you’ll know when the power returns.
- Never handle or approach a downed power line.
- Dress in layers and cover your head. Close off unused rooms. Close drapes to prevent drafts.
- Use only space heaters designed for the indoors. Even those need to be adequately vented to avoid carbon-monoxide poisoning. Keep space heaters away from curtains and clothing. Always turn off the heaters before going to bed or leaving home.
- Get fresh air and get help right away if you feel sick or dizzy while using a generator or space heater. Fatigue, nausea or sleepiness are signs of carbon-monoxide poisoning.
- Check on your neighbors.
- Seattle City Light outage hotline, 206-684-7400; www.seattle.gov/light/
- Puget Sound Energy outage reporting, 888-225-5773; www.pse.com/outage/outage-map