BREMERTON, Wash. (AP) — Officials say ridership on Washington state ferry routes reached a 15-year high in 2017.
The Kitsap Sun reports state ferries in Washington carried 10.6 million vehicles and 13.8 million passengers last year.
Washington State Ferries Director Amy Scarton says she anticipates ridership to continue to grow as more people move to Western Washington.
Bainbridge and Bremerton routes both grew by about 1.5 percent, while Kingston’s run inched up by about half a percentage point.
Most Read Local Stories
- Washington becomes first state to legalize human composting
- Series of small earthquakes detected in Washington and Oregon
- Waterfront transforming before our eyes as viaduct comes down
- Audit finds $413,000 from obscure Washington tax district went to commissioner's bank account
- King County's crusade against 'ICE Air' plays right into Trump's hands | Danny Westneat
The Bainbridge-Seattle ferry run remained the system’s busiest in 2017, hauling 6.5 million riders.
Information from: Kitsap Sun, http://www.kitsapsun.com/