The mayor of a Spokane suburb says he's resigning for health reasons, after he got in hot water for making derogatory comments about President Obama and the first lady
AIRWAY HEIGHTS, Wash. (AP) — The mayor of a Spokane suburb says he’s resigning for health reasons, after he got in hot water for making derogatory comments about President Obama and the first lady.
KHQ-TV reports that Airway Heights Mayor Patrick Rushing is stepping down effective Sept. 1. In a letter to the City Council, he said he found continuing to serve difficult due to his “declining health issues.”
Rushing drew criticism in July when he posted derogatory comments about the Obamas on his Facebook page, comparing them to monkeys. He refused to resign at that point, saying he didn’t realize the comments were racist.
The City Council later voted that it had no confidence in him, and he was removed from the Spokane Transportation Council and the Spokane Transit Authority.
Most Read Local Stories
- West Seattle Bridge reopening date announced
- Harborview Medical Center will temporarily stop accepting some patients due to capacity issues
- How to spend less time in Sea-Tac Airport lines for passenger pickup, drop-off
- New UW study shows how COVID lockdowns affected Northwest birds
- Washington's designated crisis responders, a 'last resort' in mental health care, face overwhelming demand